From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-20 18:52:23

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:09:27 -0500, David Abrahams wrote
> I have done some investigation and it may be possible for OSL to
> provide a testing farm for Boost developers. OSL would like to know
> what kind of hardware, OS, compilers are most needed. Please post
> your requests in this thread.

This might seem kind of obvious, but our current platform/compiler set
excluding compiler/OS versions is:

Windows VC, Intel, Borland, Code Warrior
Linux GCC, Intel
Solaris GCC, (could add Sun compiler if they fix it)
MAC GCC, Code Warrior

So I'd say by default this is the 'highest priority' set. That's a minimum of
4 machines and 9 compilers to cover our current set. We should probably count
on 2 compiler versions for each vendor making 18 compilers. If we were going
to get crazy, we might want 2 windows machines to support the long list of
compilers (btw, we also seem to have lost our MingW tester -- did we ever have
a cygwin tester?)

Seems like the real variation here is in OS's. Of course, there are hundreds
of Linux distros so Linux isn't just Linux -- not sure which one to pick
there. There's other platforms some people might like such as BSD (see
http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg77524.php) Not to mention HP,
AIX, etc. BTW, maybe someone should ask some of these companies to provide
the tools and a platform to OSL -- it's all to thier benefit if Boost works
with their platform. Certainly IBM has been a big open source supporter
recently...

Obviously the C++ community is going to owe a big debt to OSL -- let me revise
that -- an even bigger debt!

Jeff