From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-21 15:30:47

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>
>> 3. consider if the primary template should not take 1 range parameter
>> and call hash_range;
>> unordered containers can then be explicitly overloaded when they
>> become available.
>> this would also have the great effect that subranges like
>> sub_range<string> "just works"
>> by default
>

> I don't remember this being discussed during the review, could you
> please explain it in more detail? Do you mean that hash_value should
> have a primary template that assumes that its argument is a range? If
> so, I strongly oppose it. Ranges aren't special from the point of view
> of hash_value, they shouldn't monopolize the primary template. The
> proper way to make hash_value work with sub_range<T>, as with any other
> type, is for sub_range to define a hash_value overload as an inline
> friend or in its namespace.

I think Thorsten is referring in part to some off list emails, and in
part to when I wrote (about removing the includes for all the standard
containers):

> Another possible solution is to just use Boost.Range on anything that 'looks' like a container. But this will break on unordered containers (as equivalent containers can have different sequences).

I forgot to mention that there's no way to tell what 'looks' like a
container at all. Joaquín replied:

> Too broad IMHO.

So, I think we all rejected the idea. It would be nice if there was a
way to do something like that, but there isn't.

Daniel