From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-31 10:57:29

From: Tushar <tushar_at_[hidden]>

> For now, forget about classpath and gcj. These are implementation
> issues. This is all about having a java api implemented in C++. I want
> to know how much people thinks this can be good thing to do.

>From what I know of the Java API, I think that is a terrible
idea. As others have pointed out, the Java way is quite
different from the C++ way, despite their syntactic similarities.

If you port the Java API to C++, you'll continue to write Java in
C++. That's an impediment to writing quality C++ code and will
be foreign to C++ developers without Java experience.

Your best bet is to learn what makes C++ unique and to follow
rather than buck the current best practices. To that end, a good
book to read might be Dewhurst's C++ Common Knowledge. Also, the
venerable Effective C++ and Effective STL books from Meyers would
be good to better understand how to approach problems in C++ and
what problems to avoid. To understand some of the modern,
template-based approaches used in C++, try Alexandrescu's Modern
C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied.