From: Maxim Yegorushkin (e-maxim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-01 10:57:52

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:15:29 +0100, Iain Hanson
<Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> 1) No one normally uses 1000 sockets. Be real rather than hyperbolic if
>> you are trying to make a point.
>
> Sorry, but that is a bad assumption. A server that I'm currently working
> on will have 1,000's of sockets open concurrently. Application gateways,
> web servers and database connection concentrators are typical of Apps
> that often need large numbers of sockets.

I agree.

For example, a VoIP softswitch can have as much as 4 open sockets per
call: 2 sockets for H.225, 2 for H.245. A 1000 of concurrent calls is no
big deal for a typical softswitch. An application server I'm working on
right now also handles thousands connections.

By the way, we use libevent and are happy with it. It's portable
(Linux/Windows) and has very simple interface. I just don't see a need for
the stuff you guys are discussing here.

--
Maxim Yegorushkin