From: Holger Grund (yahoo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-03 11:13:30

"Pavel Chikulaev" <pavel.chikulaev_at_[hidden]> wrote

>> That's not quite correct. You can have templates of managed types.
> AFAIK in .NET 2.0 only, isn't it?

Templates are obviously a feature of the C++ compiler. VC++ 8
(which will ship with the .NET Framework 2.0) does support
templates. VC 7.x do that to a very limited exent only (You can
have certain function templates with managed signatures).

>> So effectively, writing an implementation with the current structure
>> and using .NET classes for file system access gets you a whole lot
>> of nothing, I'm afraid.
>
> You meant coverting std::string to .NET string, didn't you?

No. I meant adding a .NET implementations of the operations
of filesystem.
E.g. implement find_first_file/next_file/close in terms of
System::IO::Directory::GetFiles() and not touching anything
else.

This can be compiled to managed code only (as can the current
Windows implementation). I just don't think it does buy you
anything.

-hg