From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-04 09:46:16

David Abrahams wrote:
> Jason Earl <Jason_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

>>Coming from a web design / web programming background (PHP), if there
>>is anything i can do towards the design / interface / back-end, I would
>>would be happy to put some time into site if there is anything I can
>>do.
>>
>>There are pro's and cons with fixed width design. Fixed width can make
>>things a lot more readable as you don't have excessively long lines to
>>read on computers with hi-res screens. A lot of people do find this is
>>true. On the other hand for a site involving a lot of code snippets,
>>you will have a lot of <code> and / or <pre> blocks that have code that
>>need to be non wrap-able and monospace fonts, so liquid layouts are a
>>bonus there, as these code snippets can often break a fixed width
>>design.
>

> Of course we really should keep our code snippets reasonably narrow
> for the same reasons, but I doubt we can actually get buy-in and
> disciplined attention from everyone who's writing docs.

With my design I wasn't suggesting that it be used for anything but the
front page. And it's specifically design for the news style content of
the front page. So I'm not sure concerns about code snippets applies.
Unless you are thinking of applying the front page design to the rest of
the site? I which case I would have to take that into consideration.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything