From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-06 03:27:44

Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I have an OS X Mac with CodeWarrior 8.3 and some version of Apple's
> XCode. Let's see, g++ --version says it's 3.3.
>
> I also have a PowerPC mac running Debian Linux for PowerPC.

It would be nice if you try the latest CVS on the Debian.

> Have you looked at the ZRef from ZooLib? It's thread safe, and
> supports CodeWarrior and g++ on PowerPC. It also supports some
> other platforms:
> http://www.zoolib.org/
>
> Let's see if I can find the file you need...
>
> ZAtomic.h
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/zoolib/zoolib/src/foundation/ZAtomic.h?rev=1.10&view=markup
>
> ZAtomic.cpp
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/zoolib/zoolib/src/foundation/ZAtomic.cpp?view=markup
>
> Look also in ZRefCount.h and ZRefCount.cpp in
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/zoolib/zoolib/src/foundation/
>
> ZooLib has the MIT License.

I think I've seen it, yes. But since most of the code on the web nowadays is
GPL, I did my own versions from scratch. I didn't know about the MIT
license.

Looking at ZAtomic.h, I see that its ZAtomic_DecAndTest does not provide any
memory visibility guarantees; no sync or isync anywhere, no memory clobber.
Apart from that, it's pretty much the same. There aren't that many ways to
code an lwarx/stwcx. loop :-)