From: Boris (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-11 12:06:49

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Boris wrote:
>
>> While I don't know of any clear recommendation to put a navigation
>> bar not on the right side in my opinion it violates Jakob Nielsen's
>> rule "Do the same as everyone else" (see #10 of "Ten Good Deeds in
>> Web Design" at http://www.useit.com/alertbox/991003.html). There
>> have been some links posted to websites that have the navigation on
>> the right side. However I would rather follow the mainstream. Look
>> at all the explorer-style windows in your operating system:
>> Navigation is always on the top and on the left. If you really want
>> to make an exception and put the navigation bar on the right side
>> you need a strong reason to come up with something unusual.
>
> What a specious argument for conformity :-(
>
> But since you are referencing Jakob Nielsen.. I suggest you take a
> look at the website for his company "Nielson Norman Group"
> (http://www.nngroup.com/). Where you will notice that text on the left
> with navigation on the right is the norm. Here's one example..
>
> http://www.nngroup.com/reports/about/
> "About Us" (presenting company info on corporate websites): Usability
> Research Report from Nielsen Norman Group

It doesn't make sense to create long lists of links we throw at each other
to prove that one layout is more mainstream than the other one. I don't want
to abuse this mailing list neither to talk about webdesign. I propose you go
on with your design and maybe ask for feedback in
news:comp.infosystems.authoring.www.site-design - I'll step out as I
actually should go on with the network library anyway.

Boris