From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-12 02:59:55

Joel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Kalin who did the initial tallies and
> Jason Hise who wrote the IRV tallying program, we
> have a winner: Simeon Nasilowski, entry number 67.
> The winning variation is 67b.
>
> Unless there are some more objections, or if someone
> can spot a bug in Jason Hise's program, we have a
> winner. Attached here is Jason's IRV program and the
> input file. I'd like to invite boosters to go check
> it out.

I'm not sure about votes like:

  vote:
  37
  37
  37
  37
  37

and votes like:

vote:
  50
  50
  83
  83
  75

Does the IRV voting allows listing the same candidate several times? Will
this skew the resuls?

Also:

vote:
  0
  75
  75
  38
  1

Does not look correct. Don't we number candidates from 1?

OTOH, the attached Python script I've just wrote by looking at
http://www.electionmethods.org/IRVexample.htm produces the same results:
'67' is the winner and '75' is the runner-up.

- Volodya