From: Hubert Holin (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-13 09:31:20

Somewhere in the E.U., le 13/04/2005

   Bonjour

In article <015d01c53f47$b005b880$b3560252_at_fuji>,
 "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > John, this is great stuff! What's your timeline for migrating from
> > boost-sandbox
> > to the main repository?
>
> To be honest I haven't given it much thought, I was planning on asking for a
> review quite soon, but I want to finish off a rewrite of the type traits
> docs in time for 1.33 if I can.
>
> In any case given the 1.33 schedule, I don't think there's any way this can
> be reviewed and added in time for that release (unless anyone thinks
> otherwise, or the release is badly delayed or something).
>
> I also need to sort out with Hubert Holin, what I'm going to do with the new
> complex number code (add it to his special functions library, or something
> else).

      I believe integration is the simplest route. How would you want to
proceed?

      I can update the code documentation fairly rapidly, but the
"background" (mathematical) part may take some time, especially if I try
to produce explanatory figures. At any rate, if we are to feature-freeze
in 48 hours, the former may just be possible but certainly not the later.
I believe text explaining that some of the functions in the "Special
Functions" library are actually part of the TR1 should not prove to be
too confusing, and relevant passages of the TR1 could perhaps point to
the "Special Functions" library documentation for additional information
(not instead of the information you already provide).

      The body of code you produced is far greater (in more ways than
one ;-) ) than what I have done, so perhaps it would be simpler if you
merged my code into yours rather than the other way around. One sticking
point perhaps would be that of the namespace these things live in, as I
believe my implementations should be moved to ::std::tr1 as well, as per
8.16.4 of the TR1, and this raises the possibility of name conflicts.
The sinus cardinal and hyperbolic sinus cardinal should preferably stay
in ::boost::math, as they have not been introduced into the TR1, and
quaternions and octonions depend upon them (though I could update that
as well, of course). If I get around to adding valarray support for some
of these functions, they would live in ::boost::math as well.

> Thanks for the interest,
>
> John.

   Merci

         Hubert