From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-13 14:29:18

Boris wrote:
>>I think sockets should be hidden. They are not universally used, for
>>example Mac OS9 doesn't and I just assume others exist. They don't
>>have any magical powers; they are just a C abstraction. A C++
>>abstraction should replace them.
>

> Opinions seem to vary on this. When I once proposed to build a C++ network
> abstraction with I/O streams I got complaints that it should be possible to
> use sockets directly in a lower level. Whatever you write the other group
> will join the thread and complain. :)

As I recollect the discussions and the general opinions there has been
some agreement that at level 1 there should be a thin wrapper on top of
the socket api since a lot of developers knows these apis and it would
be beneficial to have them in a C++ wrapper (with exceptions, RAII and a
more modern interface).

/Michel