From: Don G (dongryphon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-14 21:56:49

Hi Boris,

> I agree with you that URLs and alike belong to a
> higher level. Level 0 will ultimately depend on
> C APIs like Berkeley sockets. Concepts like URLs
> will be implemented in a higher level based on
> whatever we have in level 0.

The stuff I proposed would be level > 0. Internally I had two levels
beneath it. The lowest was a Socket class (for platforms that had
sockets; not Mac OS 9). The level above Socket was very much like
Michel's proposal, minus some of the virtuals. :)

For addresses, there was a two step process to convert from host
names to sockaddr's. The first was to resolve the host name (via a
platform specific means). The second was to resolve the
port/scheme_name. In the end, net::address was responsible for
coordinating the async address resolution process and converting text
components from the URL to a sockaddr (again, where sockaddr was the
target).

To users above the layer I proposed, nothing else much fits other
than a textual form. For that, I believe a URL is the right answer.

Best,
Don