From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-15 09:21:13

The Function Types library provides a metaprogramming facility to
classify, decompose and synthesize function-, function pointer-,
function reference- and member function pointer types.

It supports variadic functions (e.g. printf) and can be configured to
work with several different calling conventions.

    [ archive (zip): http://tinyurl.com/4oe7q ]
    [ documentation: http://tinyurl.com/4fw9n ]

The features provided by this library are definitely missing in boost,
as there currently is no "function_traits for member function pointers",
no way to create and modify function types (for e.g. overload selection)
and no way to get a function parameter type by integral constant in
template code.
Every once in a while, someone asks for one or the other [ see
http://tinyurl.com/dxgap , for example ].

Although the audience for such a library is fairly small, due its
low-level nature, I got both competent and positive feedback.

Writing the closure function example [ I announced in this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/cceec ] only took me a few hours -- it would have
been days, if not weeks, to achieve the same functionality without
library support regarding function types.

These indications lead me to the conclusion that the time is right to
hereby request formal review.

I sent out an evaluation request to determine whether this library
qualifies for Fast Track Review to the Wizard, several weeks ago (and
just reposted it in case the mail got lost).

Thanks,

Tobias