From: Boris (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-21 05:29:04

pedro.lamarao_at_[hidden] wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I see everybody has been talking about a networking library for a long
> while. Checking the wiki, I see that my own project has escaped
> attention. So, here it goes for the examination of the experts:
>
> http://socketstream.sourceforge.net/

Socket streams have not been forgotten - see package iostream in
http://www.highscore.de/boost/net/packages.png. However there hasn't been
much talk about it lately as we were trying to get the big picture first (at
least I :-). Right now I am also more interested in level 0 of the network
library but had a glance at the documentation of your library and have a few
questions:

- Why is your socket streams library better than other socket streams
libraries? (I ask to understand better the design and goals of your
library.)
- Do your socket streams support blocking and non-blocking I/O?
- Is it possible to use your socket streams without them throwing
exceptions? (I ask as I see a class socketstream::exception.)
- As far as I can see your socket streams are not limited to stream
sockets - you can use datagram or even raw sockets? I haven't thought about
this yet but I am not sure if the interface of I/O streams makes sense for
datagram and raw sockets?

Boris