From: Jason Hise (chaos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-21 10:50:32

Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

>Jason Hise wrote:
>

>>The following specialization fails to compile on .NET 2002. Is there
>>a good reason as to why, and if not, is there a suggested work around?
>>
>>template < typename T >
>>class A
>>{
>>};
>>
>>template < typename T >
>>class B
>>{
>>};
>>
>>template < typename T >
>>class A < B < T > > // this is the specialization
>>{
>>};
>>

>This is partial specialization, which VC didn't support until version 7.1.
>
>If you're working from scratch, there are some workarounds using nested
>templates; see, e.g., http://www.boost.org/boost/pending/ct_if.hpp.
>
>Using mpl, you might do:
>
> template<typename T>
> struct is_B;
>
> template<typename T>
> struct A_primary { /* ... */ };
>
> template<typename T>
> struct A_specialized { /* ... */ };
>
> template<typename T>
> struct A
> : mpl::if_<
> is_B<T>,
> A_primary <T>,
> A_specialized<T>
> >::type
> {
> /* Ctors, etc. */
> }
>
>Here it is often sufficient to implement is_B<> using the "sizeof trick". If you
>are the author of B, and you need is_B<T> to be defined exactly, you can give
>B<T> a typedef identifying T and use is_same<> together with has_xxx from mpl.
>I'd say more but I have to run.
>
>Jonathan

Here's the context of my question: I recently added a new lifetime
policy for my singleton class. However, instead of providing an
interface which the general definition of singleton accepts, it is an
empty class. Directly underneath this empty class I provide a partial
specialization of singleton in which all the changes are made. It is a
partial specialization because all of my lifetime policies have sub
policies of their own. I do this because the general version of the
singleton definition will automatically have the overhead of maintaining
the lifetime of the lifetime, which is unnecessary overhead for this
policy and actually gets in the way (the whole point of this lifetime
policy is to be as low overhead as possible). Right now, this policy
class and the specialization it offers are in a separate include file
from the primary singleton definition. My fear is that the method above
will require that both implementations be defined in the same include
file, and be tightly bound together, making the code less organized and
more difficult to maintain.

Would it be terrible of me to disable compilation of this lifetime in
cases when partial template specialization is not supported? (And if
so, what boost macro should I check?) Another lifetime exists which
essentially offers the same functional behavior (destruction in reverse
order of creation). The only difference is that it has more overhead in
terms of memory usage (another hidden singleton living in the
background), and as a result has a few more features (can create and
destroy at an arbitrary time) and is a bit safer to use (supports
phoenix behavior). When space is not an issue, losing this new lifetime
will not really result in the loss of any features.

Is it worth uglifying my code to support a low overhead lifetime on
compilers that do not support partial template specialization? Should
this question wait until the formal singleton review?

-Jason