From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-22 08:57:00

Peter Dimov writes:
> Douglas Gregor wrote:
>> We have > 700 regressions and > 3000 failures showing up in the
>> regression tests. Library authors, please review the regression test
>> summaries for your libraries and start fixing bugs. If there are bugs
>> that cannot be fixed for release (due to broken compilers, the need
>> for huge changes to the library, etc.), mark them as expected failures
>> or mark the library as "unusable" in status/explicit-failures-markup.xml.
>
> Question: what should I do if a test failure does not render the library
> unusable, but I don't want to mark the failure as "expected" because I
> _never_ expect failures. ;-)

Peter, I'd really like to finally make your dissatisfaction with the
current markup rules go away, but in order to come up with a resolution
that we all can agree on I need to understand your use case, so please
bear with me while I'm trying to achieve that :).

I guess my question is: do you want to keep the failures yellow "for
yourself" or for users of the library? If it's the former, wouldn't
keeping the already known, "cannot-do-anything-about-it" failures
highlighted in the report make it much harder to notice possible new
failures, thus basically rendering the detailed view useless for the
purpose of examining, well, a detailed regressions/failures picture?

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering