From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-23 10:04:56

Jeff Garland wrote:
> I think there are some other considerations here with date-time.
> What if you want to replace the short or long strings associated with
> a month output? Or I want the 'days of the week' be 'day1', 'day2',
> instead of 'Sun', 'Mon', etc. For these cases I think the strings
> need to get associated with a facet instead of a fleeting i/o
> manipulator.

You are right. However there are legitimate cases where I might want both.
That is, override the locale-specific month names using a facet _and_ choose
a strftime-style date format independently. So I think that you need both a
facet (for storing locale-dependent information for %a, %A, %b, %B, %c, %p,
%r, %x, %X, and the other locale-dependent specifiers) and a manipulator for
the format string.