From: Mats Nilsson (mats.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-24 17:57:13

Michel André wrote:
> Should several pending reads be allowed? I have leaned back and forth on
> this issue in a previous platform specific async com library I wrote.
> Actually I ended up supporting several pending reads with user supplied
> buffers, but the actual clients never have or had reason to have more
> than one pending read.

I'll offer one possibly related reflection on that, which is also related to
experience from my working with an X.25 API.

The X.25 API doesn't provide the equivalent to the tcp listen(2) backlog
parameter. To drive an X.25 acceptor to be capable of accepting incoming
calls at a high rate, one has to implement the backlog oneself. This
basically amounts to having multiple async accepts (on the same "port")
pending at the same time.

Depending on your perspective, an 'accept' could be treated much like a
'read', hence my comment.

Mats