From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-25 04:17:15

Don G wrote:
> I would say that level 0 is a direct, perhaps even inlined wrapper
> over sockets (see above). For legacy code, that would be useful. Even
> for experienced developers, I believe they would be much better off
> (give or take some radical optimization requirements) with the layer
> I propose. If they see it otherwise, level 0 is there and is a
> supported library for use by anyone.

I would not recommend making the socket abstraction/layer inline. Some
socket implementations have notoriously bad header files that you don't
want to have included by accident in user code using level 0. And apart
from the resource managment perspective this is one of the main reasons
for having a facade.

/Michel