From: Iain K. Hanson (ikh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-25 20:14:09

Hi

I created the layers concept for the C++ Networking boost library.

The layers I defined are:

Layer 1 :- Light weight wrappers arround predominantl BSD socket concepts.

Layer 2 :- Acceptor, Connector, Reactor, and Svc_Handler concepts ala ACE.

Layer 3 :- An optional iostreams interface if desirable?

Layer 4:- Applications layer - includes ftp, telent, http/s And user applications

Please note there is no Layer 0 ( zero ) it does not exist.

These layers are a key to understandable discussion on the list and avoidance
of confusion.

This makes Don G's propasal a Layer 2 porpasal IIUC.

There have been other proposals at Layer 2.

Boris has also been atempting bto model Layer 1 but keeps calling itlayer 0.

we need a common nomenclture or confusion will reign.

/ikh