From: Joel (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 07:51:47

Giovanni P. Deretta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using a small extension to the tuple library 'get' function,
> that I have found very handy. It allows the extraction of an element of
> a tuple by specifying its type instead of the index.
> Example:
>
> given the tuple boost::tuple<type1, type2, type3>
>
> get<type1> returns the first element of the tuple of that type.
>
> This allows one to write more self describing code: you don't need to
> look up the tuple element type when you find an indexed get function
> buried deep inside some code.
> This is especially useful with nested tuples where for example
> 'get<3>(get<5>(get<0>(my_tuple)))' looks more like line noise than real
> code :).

Fusion's *find* algorithm already does this. What is Fusion?
Fusion is the next generation tuples lib. This is a re-
implementation of the TR tuples with iterators, views and
algorithms. The structure is somewhat modeled after MPL. It
is code-named "fusion" because the library is the "fusion" of
compile time metaprogramming with runtime programming.

Eric (Niebler) recently added a cons-list implementation.
After the 1.33 release, I'm making it a point to implement
the rest of the structures. Right now there's a vector
(flat tuple) and list (cons-list tuple). I already have a
rough implementation of a set and map (associative tuples).

Overall structure:

The library is composed of three sub-modules. Iterators, Sequences and
Views and Algorithms.

Iterators:

     Generic iteration for heterogeneous types. The library is based on
     iterators.

     filter_view_iterator
         filtering iterator. Given an MPL predicate, skips elements to
         present only the items that passes the predicate. See
         filter_view
         below.

     joint_view_iterator
         Holds four iterators (two begin/end pairs). Iterates over the
         first pair then switches over to the next pair to present
         a contiguous whole. See joint_view below.

     single_view_iterator
         A single element iterator. See single_view below.

     cons_iterator
         An iterator into a cons list. See cons below.

     transform_view_iterator
         Given a transform-function, transforms the elements being
         iterated. See transform_view below.

Sequences and Views:

Holds a begin/end iterator. Sequences and views may be composed to form
more complex sequences and views. View/sequence composition is a very
nice concept. These are extremely lighweight classes and can be passed
around by value quite inexpensively. For instance, rather than working
directly on tuples, the algorithms work on sequences and return
sequences.

     tuple
         The basic tuple structure

     tupleN
         Fixed sized tuples (where N = 0 to a predefined limit)

     filter_view
         Given an MPL predicate, filters the view to present only the
         items that passes the predicate.

     single_view
         A single element view

     joint_view
         A two-sequence view (concatenates two sequences)

     cons
         A cons-cell that can be used to build a singly-linked list.

     range
         Holds an iterator pair that represents a begin/end range.

     transform_view
         Transforms a sequence given a transform-function

     MPL sequences are also, automatically, fusion sequences. All
     algorithms and fusion functions that work on fusion sequences
     can also take in MPL seqneces.

Basic functions and meta_functions on sequences:

     I/O : TR1-tuples compatible I/O routines
     operator : tuple operators ==, !=, <, >, <=, >=
     begin : start of sequence
     end : end of sequence
     make_tuple : make a tuple
     tie : make a tuple of references
     generate : given a fusion sequence, generate a tuple
     get<N> : get the nth element of a tuple
     is_sequence : checks if a type is a fusion sequence
     tuple_element : get the nth type in a tuple
     tuple_size : get the number of elements in a tuple

Algorithms:

With very complex composition of algorithms, it is not desirable to
work directly on tuples. Like MPL, and unlike STL, the algorithms take
in sequences/views and *return* the result by value; the algorithms are
purely functional and do not (cannot) have side effects. We cannot have
an out parameter that is passed by reference where the result is
placed. The algorithms, instead, work on sequences and views and
generate views.

This strategy is very efficient. You can think of the algorithms as
"lazy". The values are generated only wnen it is needed -for example
when generating a tuple. When you are sure that you need a tuple, you
can "generate" it from the sequence: generate(sequence);

         erase
         filter
         find
         find_if