From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 17:52:00

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>>> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>>> is this a joke?
>>
>> No.
>
> I think you have to explain why they are not different then.

The burden of proof lies usually with the person making the statement. ;-)

The reference semantics vs value semantics axis is orthogonal to OO, in my
opinion. The fact that in C++ you can't (efficiently) have polymorphism with
value semantics doesn't mean that copying a value and copying a polymorphic
object are conceptually or fundamentally different.

A cloning pointer is a very good approximation of a polymorphic value. I
don't see why you consider it conceptually different from a value.