From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 23:37:25

I dont know if this thread is the best place to make this question, but...
Where do I find the proposals about threads in C++? libs, core
language modifications, memory model and etc... ? And I've seen
somewhere that there's some group discussing about those things
either, but I had only access to it through a page... maybe there's
somehow for others to receive those mails? Even havent permission to
reply any? I'm really interested about it, but I fear things like
atomicity garantees to volatile and static variables and some others
too strong garantees...

Thanks in advance

On 4/27/05, Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email)
<SeeWebsiteForEmail_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
> > "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> >>A threading library is an interesting specimen. Is it a C++0x or a TR2
> >>thing? Given that the cutoff dates are a whole year apart...
> >

> > Yep, sort of an odd case. Because it is a new component, TR2 would seem the
> > logical choice. But with three independent implementations (Boost,
> > Dinkumware, and Metrowerks), existing practice is already considerable and
> > many LWG members are already familiar with Boost.Threads. The Evolution
> > Working Group is apparently also interested in pushing forward with threads
> > for C++0x. Hans Boehm and others are working on core language changes to
> > legitimize C++ threading and other forms of concurrent programming.
>
> What other forms of concurrent programming?
>
> I also wonder how work on accepting libraries can be done before or
> concurrently :o) with language changes that render them legitimate. This
> has been a thorny issue for the memory model group. We basically have
> decided to finish the memory model first. In face of other threading
> libraries being proposed (by the way does any of the three support
> lock-free programming?), we might have to obey market laws and start
> working on a library as well, because we have a good idea on how it
> would look like.
>

> Andrei

   Felipe Magno de Almeida
   UIN: 2113442
    email: felipe.almeida at ic unicamp br, felipe.m.almeida at gmail
com, felipe at synergy com
I am a C, modern C++, MFC, ODBC, Windows Services, MAPI developer
from synergy, and Computer Science student from State
University of Campinas(UNICAMP).
To know more about:
Unicamp: http://www.ic.unicamp.br
Synergy: http://www.synergy.com.br
current work: http://www.mintercept.com
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."