From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-27 20:02:06

David Abrahams wrote:
> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>David Abrahams wrote:
>>>Do you use svnmerge?
>>
>>No. I used "svn merge -r N:M -m "Something" somefile.php". Which is what
>>the svnbook says to use. It happened to generate a conflict because of
>>changes in the trunk (I was working on a branch). The conflict file it
>>generated lost a line. And I did not notice because I did not look at
>>the non-conflict files.
>
> There's a script called svnmerge that handles this, if you just agree
> to use that instead of svn's built-in merging. Please see
> http://lists.boost.org/boost/2005/02/19955.php

Didn't know about the script, like I said first it was likely the
procedures of the client that got me in trouble. In fact the client
knows much less about version control and software development than me
in this case. But since it was the first time I used svn I was bound to
get into trouble ;-)

I think the *big* point to this is that.. If there are pitfalls, we'd
better make sure we know about them. And if there are "correct"
procedures to follow we need to know about them and follow them. And if
there are "incorrect" procedures to at best make them impossible to use
them.

But since you mention the svnmerge script, here's some questions.. Is
there a way to use that script from one of the svn GUI clients? Is there
a way to prevent the use of "svn merge"? Basically, what's to prevent
users, other than convention, from messing up?

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything