From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-28 08:32:20

"Richard Jennings" <Richard.Jennings_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>I am using the CVS head of Boost.Test up to date this morning and
> producing the log output in XML format. I find that the resulting file
> is not not well-formed XML according to Firefox and Saxon.
>
> There are two issues: there are angle brackets in the attribute values
> and a single file contains two node trees.
>
> The first issue is indirectly caused by using the
> BOOST_FUNC_TEMPLATE_TEST_CASE macro. The log output then becomes:
> <TestLog><TestSuite name="Shared/Pulse"><TestCase
> name="ShortPulses<Imaging::AirSamplePeakFind_c>">...
>
> The second issue is that the output stream contains the <TestLog> node
> tree which is then followed by the <TestResult> tree so the XML document
> has two top level nodes. Previously the TestLog output used to go to
> stdout and TestResult went to stderr (I believe), meaning that I could
> capture them to different files, or redirect the TestLog ouptut and
> leave TestResult on the terminal if I wanted to. I'm not sure what the
> solution is if it's preferred not to send TestResult to stderr. Perhaps
> the XML document needs a higher level node such as <Boost.Test> that
> contains <TestLog> and <TestResult>.

Thanks for the report all points are true. Test results should go into sterr
by default and '>' isn't allowed. I couldn't make both log and result to go
under the same hood, since they produces by two independent agents

> I notice also that the XML stream is all on one line, wc under cygwin
> reports zero lines and a line length of 38438 in my case. This is
> perfectly readable by browsers and Saxon however not by standard text
> editors. Would it be possible to put some line breaks in so that the
> file could be more easily viewed in text editors?

For this release I dropped an attempts to pretty print an XML output. In
most cases is auto-processed anyway. And one could use numerous formatting
utilities if need to.

Gennadiy.