From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-28 10:50:08

David Abrahams wrote:
> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>David Abrahams wrote:

>>>What are they, please? I don't know them.
>>
>>http://www.dellroad.org/svnmerge/index
>
> I don't see any answers to:
>
>>Is there a way to use that script from one of the svn GUI clients?

Since it's a 'sh' script I would think the answer is no. But we would
have to check with each individual GUI client to find out.

>>Is there a way to prevent the use of "svn merge"? Basically, what's
>>to prevent users, other than convention, from messing up?

Since it written on top of "svn merge" it can't really prevent the use
of "svn merge". It only augments it.

Ideally someone needs to write an svn client that totally replaces the
"svn merge" by doing all the diffs and merge itself.

>>svn creates when it finds a conflict. I don't consider what I did as
>>unusual, as I was expecting the conflict resolution of a merge to
>>*never* loose information, under any circumstances.
>
> Well, that's really embarrassing.

Particularly embarrassing for me, as I'm very careful with version
control usage. And it's why I have a persistent memory of the incident.

> How hard can it be to get that
> right? A fix must be on its way... no?

I would really hope so.. But given that working on merge issues seems to
be a low priority for them.. I would not be so sure.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything