From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-28 14:23:12

Nick Rasmussen wrote:
> The AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CXX print this out by default now at the bottom
> of the configure --help output. e.g.:
>
> Some influential environment variables:
> CC C compiler command
> CFLAGS C compiler flags
> LDFLAGS linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
> nonstandard directory <lib dir>
> CPPFLAGS C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
> headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
> CPP C preprocessor
> CXX C++ compiler command
> CXXFLAGS C++ compiler flags
> CXXCPP C++ preprocessor
>
> Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
> it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

Cool.. At least they are making progress :-) Just like we are trying to ;-)

> The one thing you're missing that makes bjam a lot more complex than
> autoconf is that you have to specify all your options for every invocation
> of bjam, where as once you configure a particular build root with an autoconf
> setup, all that information is baked into the generated Makefiles. After I
> configure there's no requirement to have any particular environment variables
> set or arguments passed to make.

Correct.. And I think that's the point you originally wanted to make.
But that's a much better way of making it ;-)

So from your point of view, and obviously others, it would be good to
have a "bjam [options..] configure" that would create a default set of
options for you. And from that point onward you could just do "bjam .."
and it would use those defaults. Of course it would still be possible to
override at any time, and to set another default.

I think that would be possible with BBv2 and some work. There's no way
BBv1 can be twisted into doing something like that.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything