From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-30 12:24:20

Iain K. Hanson wrote:

> I really don't like macros.

Can you say why? I ask only because FOREACH doesn't suffer from many of
the problems macros typically suffer from.

> I have a hard time accepting boost PP but at
> least we have never before used macros in a way that means that they proliferate
> into user code.
>
> I can not see why this has even come up for formal review.

Because a number of people have found it useful.

> If this is auseful
> feature then surely it should be taken up as a core language feature.

FOREACH is useful /today/.

> I would not have such a problem if we had an experimental track and then people
> could try ideas before making a proposal.

We do. It's called boost-sandbox. Many of the reviewers have been using
FOREACH for a year or more. The code has been publically available in
one form or another since 2003.

> I am voting no on principle.

Fair enough.

--