From: Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) (SeeWebsiteForEmail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-04 16:44:07

Paul Mensonides wrote:
>>The only way as long as you commit to not look outside C++.
>

> Which is the whole point from a library perspective. Relying on awk (or any
> other external tool) to write C++ isn't so bad, but relying on it to compile C++
> is unacceptable.

Fair enough.

>>There are plenty of text manipulation tools outside C++ that
>>offer what could be done with the C++ preprocessor with
>>programming paradigms that I consider unworthy of learning.
>
> Frankly, without knowing them, you aren't in a position for your opinion to be
> worth anything. You're a smart guy, Andrei, so the learning curve shouldn't be
> too difficult for you. Why don't you learn those paradigms and then decide
> whether they are "worthy" instead of making blanket statements based on nothing?

Oh, that's a misunderstanding. I did learn them. My opinion is based on
actual information. I can't claim to be a pp lib expert, but I have an
understanding of it. I agree that otherwise an opinion wouldn't be worth
anything.

So what I was trying to say was, the point at which I will veer away
from pp-based programming to other tools happens earlier than others'.

Andrei