From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-05 00:39:58

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>>
>>> well, you can't call it io::char :-)
>>
>> Yeah, I know. Since char_<> would be an abomination,
>
> Why?

Other things being equal, I like to avoid trailing underscores except for member
names, since they look wierd to me.I respect the use of int_, long_, ... in mpl
because they name entities closely tied to the keywords, so it makes sense to
choose the closest legal alternatives. In Iostreams, the connection between the
keyword char and the metafunction which extracts the character type of a device
is more remote. I'd rather have a desciptive name.

>> the alternative is char_type.
>
> character_type?

character_type and char_type both suffer from the problem that they look funny
when they are applied

    typename char_type<Device>::type // 'type' is repeated

But we discussed this already some time ago.

>> I've got the same problem with int_type.
>
> Not sure how that fits in... :(

Because I can't have a metafunction called int.

Jonathan