From: Boris (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-05 16:50:24

Scott Woods wrote:
> [...]
> I feel as if we have clarified one thing; there can be no iostream
> input operators
> over async sockets (the function signature is blocking). Which leaves
> the output
> operators and whether iostream output operators over async has any
> value?

The async implementation you proposed can be supported by blocking I/O
functions as far as I understand (or should I say blocking O functions :-)
as the whole asynchronicity is hidden behind the interface. The only
difference to the standard blocking I/O functions is that your
implementation guarantees that blocking I/O function return immediately
(which is of course no problem and might be useful for library users).

Boris