From: Nathan Myers (ncm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-05 22:16:40

Scott,

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:51:43AM +1200, Scott Woods wrote:
> From: "Nathan Myers" <ncm_at_[hidden]>
> > Scott:
> >
> > > The catch (for me) is that such a call is still blocking. The thread
> > > that performs the call (operator<<) must wait for the complete
> > > object off the stream.
> >
> > Not quite. The idea is that operator>> will operate on known text
> > obtained without blocking and without EWOULDBLOCK. I don't recall
> > how one can tell how much is in an incoming socket buffer (nothing
>
> ioctlsocket( socket, FIONREAD, &available )

Ewwww, Win32.

On Linux, documented as ioctl(fd, SIOCINQ, &available) [cf. tcp(7)],
although SIOCINQ seems to be the same number as FIONREAD: 0x541B. :-)
On the BSDs it seems to be documented as FIONREAD also. Thus, not
entirely unportable; everybody seems to offer a way to get it, almost
the same way.

> > very portable, in any case), but it is easy enough to tell if there's
> > at least _something_ there: do a select() with a zero timeout, and
> > see if it says it's ready. (More likely your regular select() loop
> > woke up and told you so.) If so, trigger an underflow() (with
> > sgetc(), say), which will get up-to-a buffer-full. (Make sure the
> > buffer is at least as big as the OS's.) After there's text in the
> > buffer, you can decide if it's enough to merit calling whatever is
> > supposed to extract and operate on it.
>
> I assume the caller (of operator>>) is "paused"?

I don't know what that means. If you're running and pawing at your
streambuf, you're not paused by any definition I know of. The notional
op>> hasn't been entered yet. You're deciding, first, whether there's
enough stuff there to merit that.

> > A special streambuf can provide direct access to the buffer contents,
> > too, so you can check if the input really is terminated. If it's not
>
> What constitutes "really is terminated"? Are you parsing the
> stream in some way?

I prefer to say examining. (Parsing implies a grammar.) Parsing is
something our notional op>> might do after we determine that it can
run to completion without getting an EOF for EWOULDBLOCK. Does
looking for an outermost matching "}", skipping comments and string
literals, count as parsing? I don't think the answer matters. What
matters is how you can use, in your async program, library Q that
takes its input from an istream&.

> > terminated, you can go back to sleep and wait for more (and for other
> > events too). If it's terminated, you hand it over, and they process
> > it, none the wiser. Of course they have to be willing to stop reading
> > before EOF -- or at least not mess up their internal state if they are
> > fed an EOF at an agreed-upon spot by our complicit streambuf. (We can
> > clean up any fail/eof/bad flags after we get control back.)
>
> We are at cross-purposes. The processing that you describe is
> very much what I have running in a production framework. Its just
> that the parts are moved around as a response to the "fundamental
> law"; there cannot be any "operator>>".

If there can't be any operator>>, there's hardly any point to attaching
the socket to a streambuf at all. I seriously doubt you are running
anything like I have described. I *am* talking about calling op>>.

> > I don't care much how it's labeled, or how it fits into anybody's
> > Grand Unified Theory of I/O. I just want to be able to plumb a
> > nonblocking socket to code that only knows how to talk to a
> > bog-standard istream or an ostream, and have reason to expect it
>
> An istream (i.e. specifically operator>>) blocks the calling thread
> until the object is complete. Application code in "truly async"
> software can never be blocked.

All functions "block" the calling thread until they complete, so that
definition doesn't mean anything. If you can determine that your
notional op>> won't need more bytes than are certain to be available
immediately, then it doesn't block, it executes and returns. If you
make a mistake, the system call to obtain more bytes fails, reporting
EWOULDBLOCK, your op>> sees EOF, and returns. Either way nobody has
been blocked in any meaningful sense.

I don't know from "truly async". I don't see why it was mentioned
at all, or what it has to do with this thread.

Nathan Myers
ncm_at_[hidden]