From: Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) (SeeWebsiteForEmail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-08 14:34:03

Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> "Joel" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote
>
>>Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:

>>>Interesting... Can you provide an example of how would such a tool
>
> generate
>
>>>C++ based on the library user input... Lets just start with the
>
> simplest
>
>>>one: the user wants to set maximum size of the mpl::vector<> to 50...
>
> Can
>
>>>you explain how that would be achieved with an external tool?
>>
>>For example, we can have a python script that will generate header
>>files for vector0 .. vector50 given some user supplied configs (with
>>defaults). I remember some people doing that before boost PP became
>>the norm (e.g. boost.python).
>

> Such a little problem, and so much incovenience already... I assume there
> is no point in moving to more complicated ones ? :-)

Here's what I think. I am trying to encourage everyone - and yes, that
includes myself - to think out of the box. It's very easy to say
something cannot be done, or can only be done some cumbersome way. But
usually, those answers come from straight within the box. And they come
with the entire garnishment of irony, sarcasm, "proofs", what have you.
But once we stop glorifying the box and decide to get out of it,
solutions will be found - and they might even be better. :o)

Andrei