From: Oliver Kullmann (O.Kullmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-12 11:54:38

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:12:51PM +0200, Hubert Holin wrote:
> Somewhere in the E.U., le 12/05/2005
>
> Bonjour
>
> In article <d4p70d$1jd$1_at_[hidden]>,
> "Marcin Kalici�ski" <kalita_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > Tracking the disussion on n1774 'Big integer library proposal for C++0x' I
> > see there is a lot of controversy about it, and it will probably need much
> > tweaking before (if ever) it is accepted.
> >
> > Wouldn't that be a good idea to have a big integer added to boost so that we
> > can create a 'working practice' before anything gets standarised?
> >
> > I have some preliminary source code, some spare time, and would volunteer to
> > work on it if there's enough interest.
> >
> > cheers,
> > M.
>
> Just a (belated) "me too" to express my great interest in that
> topic.
>
> Merci
>
> Hubert Holin

Hi,

I missed that too: I'm also VERY, VERY, VERY INTERESTED in having this
library in Boost.

For example, for one application I've written
(a strong random generator for constraint satisfaction problems)
the missing Big integer library is now a big problem: The one I used
is not standard-compliant, and, though I fixed the syntactical problems,
broke down on a 64 bit platform. So I have to replace this library.
Orginally, I wanted to use GMP instead, but then their warnings about
"miscompilation" and especially that "For GMP 4.1.4, we recommend that you use GCC 3.3.x or older"
made me change my mind --- I guess this wouldn't happen with Boost!
So I'm in the situation now that this (once working) random generator has to wait
for a big integer library (I mean, of high quality -- that's what I
expect from Boost).

If a big integer library would be available from Boost, I would use it
in most of my applications and libraries.

Oliver