From: dan marsden (danmarsden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-16 16:21:14

IMO the char[] as string default looks cool in the
examples from boost for each and the string
algorithms, but I cannot think of many practical
examples of where I would have used it in my code.

If I'm handing strings that I want to do something
interesting with, I'll probably have read them into
std::string as I usually cannot predict their lengths.

Of course my experience may be atypical.

Maintaining the uniformity of treatment of arrays
would seem to me to be of more benefit in generic
code.