From: Eric Goebelbecker (egoebelbecker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-19 13:30:37

My needs are similar.

1) All messages go to a single file. The ability to filter messages to
different files based on the severity (a la syslog) is a nice to have,
but certainly not critical.

2) The ability to dynamically change what messages are sent.

3) Log "rolling" is critical. In a "normal" runtime scenario very few
messages are sent to the log - but when something does go wrong a
history of "aw shucks" messages can be very helpful. Since the first
thing a client will do when a problems occurs is restart the
app...overwriting the log will not do. Having the startup script move
the log to a new name is a possibility, but less than desirable.