From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-19 17:40:01

Jens Maurer wrote:

> In order to guide overload resolution, I've used boost::enable_if<>
> and type traits to make sure that integral arguments don't
> try to call the "template<class Generator>" overloads. This could
> mean decreased compiler support, sorry.

Hi Jens,

By coincidence, yesterday I modified the iostreams regression tests to use
Boost.Random instead of std::rand, which was behaving poorly on Linux and
Darwin. The above change means that iostreams is now broken on at least one
compiler, CodeWarrior 8.3, which doesn't support SFINAE.

Would you mind if the new constructors and seed functions were included only for
compilers supporting enable_if? Alternatively, would you mind if I implemented
these functions without enable_if? From a quick look, it appears that all of the
seed functions and most if not all of the constructors can be made to work on
older compilers without much work.

Jonathan