From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-21 23:02:21

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback -- this seems rather easy ;)

> Our current logging is very simple. At start up, most of our
> applications specify a log file, which can be gotten later via a
> singleton. The singleton allows global access to an output stream for
> their logs.

This type of scenario has already been suggested, and will definitely
include it.

> There are a few things it doesn't do that we'd like in a logging framework:
>
> 1) Automatic timestamps, which are currently done manually.

Already exists, in the current library (the prepend_time() class)

> 2) Debug levels, so that some log messages could be ignored
> while others are actually written to the output stream. It
> would be nice if we could specify debug levels as a stream
> manipulator, ie:
>
> log << debugLevel(5) << " reactor meltdown " << endl;
>
> If the debug level is below 5, the reactor meltdown message
> is ignored. Sometimes we dynamically adjust the debug
> level, so that we can get more information from a
> misbehaving application.
>
> Of course, you have to somehow specify when log level is
> being reset. I haven't thought that part through.

Will do it (implement levels, that is).

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all