From: Allan Wind (allan_wind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-22 02:38:59

On 2005-05-22T07:18:53+0200, John Torjo wrote:
> > (I also want logs older than N days to be gzipped, and log older than
> > a certain date to be deleted; but I'm happy - in fact happier - for
> >these tasks to be done by cron job not a logging library, as it is a
> >system administrators decision not a programmers decision)
>
> Let's leave it to the admin for now ;)

You may want to think of functor hooks in general.

Before opening a file, check if we want to reuse an existing one and
allow end-user defined formatting of names. After closing a file, check
if compression is needed. After getting a log event, run a custom
filter to throw stuff away by content. Before accepting a log event,
check if the sender has been flooding you. Aggregating of data might be
helpful (last message was repeated x times, instead of logging a
sequence of events combine them to one log event if they occur within
some time window).

/Allan