From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-24 12:14:03

Doug Gregor wrote:
> The iostreams regression tests are looking a LOT better. Great!
>
> I see that everything is failing on gcc-2.95.3-linux. I'm going to
> mark this toolset as unusable: nobody expects iostreams-anything to work
> with GCC 2.95.x's non-templated iostreams, and the maintenance burden
> far outweighs any advantage.

Actually, it took only a few hours several months ago to make the whole library
work on gcc 2-95. The current problem are a result of two issues:

- iterator_range doesn't work on gcc 2.95. I made it work on this platform some
time ago, but subsequent changes have broken it again. I haven't got around to
fixing it but it should be fairly trivial.

- Apparently gcc 2.95 with old iostreams is confused by
boost::iostreams::char_traits, which may need to be explicitly qualified.

At any rate, I don't much care if gcc-2.95 is marked unusable, but infact it
probably will be usable.

> The bzip2, gzip, and zlib tests are failing on Windows. I can't tell
> if this is a configuration error on the testers' machines or if it's a
> build issue in the iostreams library. I'll take a shot at reproducing
> the problem this evening.

I've been delaying posting configuration information on the testing list, since
I didn't want to have to correct it later. But since we've run out of time, I'll
do it now.

Best,
Jonathan