From: Jason Earl (Jason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 09:31:47

You've probably come out with a worst case scenario with regards to
that attempt to compile things, and I do remember a few things being a
pain initially when compiling for the first time. However, it didn't
take long for me to make intelligent guesses on what to do to get
things working, and it was only minutes before I managed to get things
working smoothly when I last tried. This is certainly a lot less
painless than a some of the builds I've done on Linux for web stuff.

I think a lot of Windows users are too used to things just working out
of the box, and give up if things don't work like that.

As for understanding what targets are etc, I think most developers will
know what targets are. There is a fine level between displaying too
much info and not displaying enough. I get increasingly annoyed by
Windows apps that do the complete opposite and don't tell you anything
when something goes pear shaped. It becomes even harder to pin point an
error then as you have no info to go by. Least when you get errors with
building you can copy and paste into google and normally get answers if
you don't understand what the reason is behind the error.

Despite all the errors people might get with installing, Boost does
have this excellent mailing list where people can quickly get the help
they need.

Maybe it would be good to have some control over build verbosity (there
probably already is some, I just haven't looked yet), Maybe logging the
build info to a file would be better and then logging errors, messages
etc to the screen (and maybe a separate) log file.

You really can't complain at long error messages. After all C++
programmers should be used to them, they happen all of the time with
template based code.

Jason