From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 10:18:45

On 5/25/05, Hendrik Schober <SpamTrap_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I really think the Getting Started guide is more than adequate, and is
> > concise and easy to follow. There are gigantic yellow numbers next to
> > the important steps. [...] really how much more hand-holding
> > does one need?
>

> OK, so I went to the that guide, downloaded boost
> 1.32, downloaded bjam.exe, unzipped everything,
> and typed, IMHO according to the guide,
> C:\Temp\Download\boost\boost_1_32_0>..\bjam.exe bjam "-sTOOLS=VC71_ROOT" stage

No, thats not at all what the guide says. You type:

..\bjam.exe -sTOOLS=vc-7_1 stage

Where did you get VC71_ROOT from?

> After quite a pause ("what's it doing now?") it
> spit out a lengthy messagethat that I have an
> incorrect configuration. It couldn't find Python.

This is only pertinent if you are building Boost.Python.

> Mhmm. Do I need this? Will it even work without
> Python? (I know it will. But not from the guide.)
> Next thing it emits is
> don't know how to make bjam

Because you typed bjam twice on the command line

> [etc]

Just follow the directions. They could be more clearly written, but
you haven't even come close to typing equivalent commands to the ones
listed on the Getting Started page.

Admittedly there should be example command lines for vc-7_1 etc and
not just gcc.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com