From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 10:41:18

> I think some people seem to see me as anti GUI / pro command line.
> You've hit the nail on the head. GUI's seem to destroy understanding. I
> can't bear using GUI's for most of the web programming because it just
> tries to hide too much.
> At the same time tools like vi are just anti
> productive to my work due to the learning curve. A simplified build
> process is what's needed

All this really just doesn't seem relevent to anything at all that I can
see. Surely we all learnt long ago that whats good for one person is not
neccessarily good for another. You wanna build via command line, fine do
so (i do). Some people don't want to, someone has offered to help try
and plug this gap so maybe he should be just taken up on the offer;)
Telling people to do it your way or no way is pretty much guaranteed to
get a lot of people doing it no way and ignoring it entirely.

A very simple utility such as the one John Torjo ships with win32gui to
build it (simply a dialog that does the right thing when the user
presses the button next to the compiler they are using) would go a long
way to address all of these issues in probably under a hundred lines of
code. Obviously not absolutely ideal (selecting libraries to build
immediately suggests itself and consideration for cross platformness)
but possibly a good enough starting point.

Martin