From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 06:21:25

Wild thought-

Is there a rational way to have a "environment" checker. I am NOT a bjam expert- but it would be handy if we had some cmd line program that would follow spit out all the info BJAM looks for and finds.

I am slightly half cocked in this idea, but basically it would have to be enough information that you could get a better sense for what Bjam was doing

Something like

C:\boost\> boostenvcheck.exe
** Enviroment Report**
Python is not in the path
User-config.jam file is setup to use gcc, vc7.1
Etc....

I have been using boost for (has it been that long) 2 years now. Bjam still confounds me. ( I appreciate the work effort, it is a cool tool, I remain struggling with it though)

(I am also a tad frustrated because I have been trying to make vc7.1 build wave for the last 5 hours)

Semi-Related:

I proposed (a long time ago) building a SIMPLE gui framework- with the core elements, and then making a "boost environment checker" out of that- I.e. imagine a tree control with all the types of settings and what nots, and the ability to navigate this gui to try to determine what is not set correctly.