From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 10:17:56

Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 5/26/05, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> You seriously want an example like that for every one of 51 toolsets?
>
> Not hardly, no. Just the ones that are the most popular (probably
> only those three). Anyone on a different platform/toolchain will have
> to take a little time and RTFM.

Sounds fine, then. You just said "vc-7_1, etc." so how could I know.

> Please don't shoot the messenger.

This ain't shootin', partner. When I'm shootin', you'll know it from
the blood on your shirt.

> You asked for some examples, so I took the time and wrote them out
> in what I think is a very complete form.

Very nice.

> There's already a page on the Wiki called InstallingBoost, and perhaps
> it could be buffed up a bit (it offers the IMHO singularly bad advice
> of copying all the Boost headers and libs into the MSVC install dir)
> and linked to or included in-line in the Getting Started page.

I don't think the Wiki is the right place for the easy-to-use getting
started guide. It should be a very stable part of the main Boost
website.

> I already have CVS access, so I could make changes as appropriate.

Go for it, but please keep the important information within the main
Boost website. Note that any changes you make will be reflected at
http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost within an hour or 2.

> I'm leaving town this afternoon for the holiday weekend, so I don't
> know that I can get anything committed before Tuesday.

That's soon enough for me.

> Here's the Wiki page:
>
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?InstallingBoost
>
> Someone else suggested a web form could be used to generate the bjam
> command line from user input (e.g. pick your platform, compiler,
> desired configuration from pull-down menus). I like that idea lot.

Need volunteers. :^)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting