From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-27 05:39:45

"Peter Foley" <pjfoley_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of looking at how feasible it would be to use WIX to
> create an MSI installer package for Boost for the Windows Platform(s).
>
> Now bearing in mind that I have never used WIX before and have been out of
> the programming game for a while I think I would like to help/run with this
> task.
>
>>From lurking on the list for a while and also from the more recent "Customer
> Friendlier Boost Installation" thread here is a feature/wish list of items
> that I have seen or would personally like:
>
> * Install boost using an installer application
> * Detect necessary installation information
> * Provide "header only install" or header and lib file install"
> * Install foo library and dependencies and that is it
> * Configure various IDE's to support using boost
> * Install and register an MSDN Library of the boost documentation

Did you miss my list or did you dislike everything on it?
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/124787

> Obviously this list has some items on it that may not even be possible but
> hey we need something to aim for.
>
> Also the main goal would be to develop an automated rather then hand-rolic
> process for creating this MSI file.
>
> To help reach this goal I am hoping someone with more experience with the
> boost development process could shed some light on these questions.
>
> 1. Can we write a program that could work out if a library is header
> only? (generating a list of all these files)

What do you mean by "work out?" Oh, I think you mean "decide." At
first I thought you meant "function properly."

Yes, we can.

> 2. Can we write a program that could work out if a library needs to be
> compiled as a lib file? (generating a list of all these files)

Isn't that just the inverse of question 1?

> 3. Can we write a program that could work out the dependencies between
> different libraries? (generating a list of all the dependencies)

bcp

> 4. Is there a number of files that you would consider to be core boost
> files (ie something that the majority of boost libraries/users would use)?

Yes, but why does that matter? If we allow people to limit how much
they install, they'll be offended if they get something they don't
need, even when it's in the "core."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting