From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-30 07:18:53

Andrey Melnikov wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Andrey Melnikov <melnikov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> Now boost is a bad example for other libraries. If all libraries will
>>> follow boost's example, we would get c:\boost, c:\zlib, c:\cppunit,
>>> c:\mpich2 etc. This is definitely a bad idea.
>>

>> Sheesh, I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like you can't put
>> it wherever you like, whenever you like: as part of installation, or
>> later.
>>
> We should consider that users are used to think that installation isn't
> just a copy, and they are afraid to relocate 'installed' files.

Whats the problem? The installer just has a default location and as
standard in installers you get to see this and the option to change it
*before* installation. It just doesn't really seem to matter what the
default location is. (FWIW I dont think Program Files is the right place
as default but there ya go).

Martin.