From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-31 09:08:04

"Brian Braatz" <brianb_at_[hidden]> writes:

> HAVING said that here is the suggestion, reformed:
>
> Boostenvcheck.exe become s a program which LISTS the dependencies for
> your configuration.

Can you show an example of what that output might look like? I don't even
have a clear idea of what you mean by "dependencies" or "your
configuration."

>> > I have been using boost for (has it been that long) 2 years now.
>> > Bjam still confounds me. ( I appreciate the work effort, it is a
>> > cool tool, I remain struggling with it though)
>>
> [David Abrahams Writes:]
>> You never post questions; how can we improve its interface and help
>> you understand it otherwise?
>>

> Excellent point indeed. I need to do more of this. I tend to take a LONG
> TIME to learn something, once I have it, I have it well. But the first
> initial barrier is tough, and my initial questions are frequently so
> idiotic I don't always get the information by asking the question.
>
> I have read the MPL book now FIVE TIMES cover to cover. On the fith
> pass, I "saw it". (the mpl::for_each<> is what kicked it in for me)

Wow, I applaud your fortitude and apologize for writing something that
took you so long to "see."

> I have been now writing programs using the MPL library (kudos to
> both you and Aleksey- excellent body of work). Because I know I have
> to go through this learning process, I work very hard up front to
> "see it" enough so I can answer my own conceptual questions first.
>
> Basically though, your advice is well received by me. I need to ask
> more questions, and will do so in the future. I have a personal goal
> of learning everything I can about boost as this will help me
> contribute.

It's for our benefit, too. If you don't ask questions, we can't see
what's not working in our documentation.

> I realize I "come from a different place" in my thinking. And I realize
> that to truly communicate what I am talking about I have to show it. I
> am just frustrated than I require sleep. If I didn't need sleep I could
> spend more time learning more about boost. :)
>

> CONCLUSION:
> Dave-
> Thank you very much for your thoughts and advice.
>
> Everyone-
> I see everyday in people I am working with the incredible hair raising
> effect and energizing influence bringing boost into my dev team has had.
> I am grateful for everyone's dedication to creating some incredible
> works.

Brian, it's great to have people with your enthusiasm and energy
around Boost. I hope everything you've been dreaming of contributing
will come to fruition, and look forward to seeing it!

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting