From: Alisdair Meredith (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-02 09:01:40

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Question: what should path("foo//bar//").string() yield?
>
> 1) "foo//bar//"
> 2) "foo/bar/"
> 3) "foo/bar/."

> I'm leaning toward (2). Any comments?

What happens if the user wants to start concatenating filenames on the
end of the path? Ideally they will use library facilities of course
<g> But if they insist on doing it the hard way, (2) 'just works', (3)
requires additional parsing to remove the trailing '.' and (1) is still
the oddball - for both good and ill.

For me that makes it a call between (1) and (2), and I am in favour of
(2) as I prefer to have a single, well defined portable representation
- not something else I will need to parse again with yet another
library.

I think this means we are in agreement <g>

AlisdairM