From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-02 09:37:14

"David Daeschler" <daveregs_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Since the slash or slashes in that case are extraneous, I would also say
> option 2 is the way to go. Remove the trailing slash because it was
> probably not intended in the first place.

I don't believe removing a trailing slash is a good idea because that isn't
how POSIX or Windows treats a trailing slash, and also because some apps
may depend on it to distinguish between a directory path and a file path.

> The only question I would have is about the path that is simply "//" or
> natively in the windows world "\\". In the windows command prompt
> changing to those two directories yields the following results.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\blah>cd \\
> '\\'
> CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories.
>
> and
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\blah>cd \
>
> C:\>
>
> So if you were to trim the trailing slash in "//", it could potentially
> have different results in windows since it sees the "\\" as the beginning
> of a UNC path.

Leading double slashes have special meaning in both POSIX and Windows.
Oddly, POSIX treats three or more leading slashes as a single slash. Three
or more is just plain illegal in Windows. I didn't mention that in the
original message to keep it simple, but those cases will have to be handled
specially.

--Beman